Posted to rec.woodworking
Brian Henderson

Default This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 17:56:28 -0500, "Upscale"
wrote:

And what about the other side of the story? From everything that I could
gather, all the other tablesaw manufacturers banded together to keep Sawstop
out of the market. Reason being that incorporating Sawstop technology on
their own products, would cost them profits. The idea was that if they all
spoke as a single unifying force, there was much less chance they'd be sued
for selling potentially dangerous equipment.

I don't blame them, they're being forced to use someone else's safety
equipment, pay royalties for it, and are barred from using their own
versions which may be even safer. Yeah, I think that's pretty stupid
myself.

On one hand, I agree with you that legislation forcing the Sawstop equipment
on people is tantamount to an attempt at a cash grab from everybody. The
other side of the equation is that all the other manufactures might deserve
to be forced to capitulate to the technology. Read the article and decide
for yourself.

I don't think anyone should be forced to use a third party's product,
period. If they want to legislate a form of safety equipment, fine.
Each manufacturer can come up with their own equipment that meets the
criteria. Insisting that it's SawStop's equipment is ludicrous.