Old Nick

Default Every wanted to see a Chinese production facility?

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 14:46:54 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote something
.......and in reply I say!:

Short of an imperialism that any civilized person would decry, 300

million
people consuming 30% of the world's resources cannot be sustained in
the face of 6 billion others who want to live and raise families too.

Gary

That's exactly right.

You know, I've spent most of my waking hours for the past year studying this
subject, and I can't think of a single factual, quantitative reason why you
would draw that conclusion.

Barring your philosophical ideas about it, Carl, what makes you think this
should lead to a decline in the socio-economic stature of our middle class,
in economic terms? With numbers, please. As I said to Gary, no fuzzball
philosophy will do. g

Ed. I tend to agree with most of what you say. You have certainly
studied it. I am going to dig up a couple of your articles. But....

Given that Carl seems to think only in economic terms, I agree that
such an imbalance as Gary mentions could possibly be maintained, and I
certainly do not have the figures to argue. But Gary's actual comment
carries more weight when you take the whole picture.

"Fuzzball philosophy"...it's "not fair" that 5% of the population
should use 30% of the resources, or that probably 20% of the
population uses 70%, or whatever, if we look wider and not just at the
US. I realise that Oz certainly has a very high impact per capita on
the environment. I feel (and as with most, spend a lot of my time
simply ignoring) the "unfairness".

Human nature. As more and more people become _aware_ of what is
happening, and in fact do rather get it shoved in their faces day
after day by radio/TV, the net, and ads, they will do anything to get
the goodies. At the very least this means offering all sorts of
incentives to manufactureres from high-income countries to bring work
to the lower income countries.
Whenever you have to prove to yourself that you are
not something, you probably are.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music
Please remove ns from my header address to reply via email
!!
")
_/ )
( )