Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rich Grise

Default what's a line reactor?

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 10:24:27 -0500, DOC wrote:

I did a little more digging and found a short summary from
Trans Coil that I have included at the end here. It's a PR
piece but makes for a good summary.

Would anyone know if the phases affect each other?
Do you get the same result if the cores were physically separate?

Does this thing work with single phase?

From the description (which I've left, below), it sounds like an ordinary
hash choke or common-mode choke. I remember having seen sketches of the
magnetic pathe in a three-phase transformer, albeit I haven't done a
thorough http://www.google.com search on it yet - the thing is, on
single-phase, you'd get a similar effect by just using one winding, or
possibly putting them in parallel, although series might be better -
magnetic stuff is black magic to me.

Back to the point, it sounds like you put one winding in series with
each phase from the mains, and it keeps the switching noise coming
out of your equipment from going back up the mains and screwing
up the neighbors' TV. :-)

Good Luck!
Rich

TCI KLR series three phase AC line reactors are intended for use as
input filters for adjustable speed DC drives and as input or output
filters for AC-PWM variable frequency drives. Drive performance is
significantly improved, the drives input rectifier is protected from
failure or damage, and drive harmonic demands are tamed with the
addition of a K-rated line reactor. KLR line reactors act as interface
buffers between solid state power circuits and the line or the motor.
(Not unlike the surge protector for your desk-top PC). All drives, in
any application, will benefit when applied with KLR series line reactors.