Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brent Philion

Default Chuck size question

Grant Erwin wrote:
Brent Philion wrote:

I'm looking to buy a 4 jaw chuck for my lathe.
I have a 10" lathe (Atlas 10X36) and an 8" 3 jaw chuck already

I'm Looking to add a 4 jaw and i'm wondering if there are advantages
to using a bigger chuck over a small one other than the Obvious of
being able to chuck up bigger work. and the Obvious Disadvantage in
price.

Assuming i dont need to put anything over 6" in the chuck are there
other advantages to having a bigger chuck over a little one?

And anyone selling a 4 jaw that fits a 1 1/2" x 8 TPI threaded spindle?

A 9" lathe uses a 6" 4-jaw and a 5" 3-jaw. Presumably you could go as
large as 7" on a 4-jaw. Have to be careful of projecting jaws hitting
you or the ways or the apron. Other drawback to larger chucks is the
weight, although a 7" chuck won't strain you too bad.

Be careful buying used 4-jaws, if the jaws are bell-mouthed you'll have
a lot of trouble. I suggest the PC brand from ipstool.com, they seem
like some crappy import but I have one of their 3-jaws, use it a lot,
*much* better than my original chuck that came (in 1949) with my lathe.
They are reasonably priced, too.

GWE

My current 3 jaw is 7 1/2 inches and it appears to have over an inch of
clearance over the cross slide on it

My face plate is 8 1/2 and it clears fine too

Can the bigger chuck cause additional wear? Or have smoother cuts due to
the chucked work having more inertia and be deflected less by the
cutter? Or something else entirely that i havent considered

I'm a newbie on the machining side and would like to continue using this
lathe until its a working antique (instead of just being almost double
my age)