Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

Default Partially Collapsed / Sagging Plaster Ceiling

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 18:19:47 +0000, Dave Page
wrote:

Phil L wrote:

* Is it possible to screw entirely new plasterboard over the
sagging plaster, and the hole, and the existing ceiling? This seems
perfectly possible from reading
http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/miscellaneous.html#repairing and similar,
but the problem is that the existing ceiling has stippled plaster.

It doesn't matter if it's stippled or not, plasterboard screws come
in a few sizes and anything less than 3 inches is a POP*

OK, so would I want to screw the new plasterboard directly onto the
stippled ceiling, or use spacers to leave a gap, or try to file off the
stippling somehow before screwing new board down?

Use a marker pen to measure and mark out the positions of the joists
(they will be spaced evenly so you just need to find out how wide they
are, and what the spacing is). You screw through the old ceiling into
the joists. Assuming by "stippling" you just mean a stippled paint
effect, then don't worry about it. The plasterboard is 12.7mm thick,
just screw it up nice and tight (but not too tight as the screws will go
through the surface of the p/board), and make sure you're screwing into
the joists and not the failing ceiling!

It's a two-man job though - the plasterboard is heavy and will need to
be propped up firmly while you screw into it. I used a home made wooden
prop - a 2.4m length of 2x2 with a large X, also made out of 2x2 screwed
to the end.
--
Chris Cowley