Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default vacuum chuck testing

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:53:35 -0800, Jimbo wrote:

Mac,
That is an interesting valve you have there. I have been giving some
thought recently to trying this out. How much vacuum is needed to make
this type of chuck work, assuming you dont have any leaks?

Would one of these work well?

http://www.vaccon.com/highvacuum.html

Thanks,
Jim

I really have no idea if those would work, Jimbo.. sounds like Leo has the scoop
on them, though...

I'm running about 10 on the vacuum gauge right now, but I sanded the bottom on
one bowl with the first valve and it was holding fine at about 5..
I hesitate to say "5 pounds", as I'm not sure if the correct term is pound,
inch, etc...

I'm totally new at this and if it wasn't for Bill Noble's used pump and
accessories and his advice, I never would/could of tried it..

http://www.wbnoble.com/

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis