Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default tricky finishing porblem

robo hippy wrote:

When I am putting an oil finish on a piece of maple burl which
usually
has a lot of voids, I will blow it off with the air hose.

snip

Wipe the runs up as the air blows it out. I will usually hit it a
couple of times.

Damn. Talk about a head slapper. I do that without thinking cabinets
and pieces that I stain or rough textured work (rustic finishes are
increasing popular in S. Texas) that
requires clear finish.

I just never thought of doing that on the lathe. Talk about not being
able to connect the dots! Sometimes I think I have been doing this
stuff too long, and I just go on auto pilot and don't think about the
better ways to do things.

Thanks robo.

Robert