Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

Default water meters

In article , Roger
wrote:
The message from John Cartmell
contains these words:

Is this the violence by imported police on very substantial bonuses,
illegally hiding their police numbers and taunting the unpaid
striking miners with commnets about those bonuses?

What a convenient memory you have.

I certainly don't remember ever supporting Scargill or the tactics used
by some miners - but then I wasn't employing them. What my government was
doing, with my money, against my wishes, was both illegal and highly
damaging to my country. I don't need to support Scargill in order to damn
Thatcher to hell.

It was implicit in your comment above that the bulk if not the totality of
the violence was from the police.

It wasn't

Whatever the wrongs on the police side they were very small beer compared
with those of the striking miners.

They weren't.

I think you will need to accept eventually that it was not *your*
government acting illegally with *your* money but our (for better or for
worse) lawfully elected government using our taxes to pursue its mistaken
(but lawful) policies.

I'll accept "our". I normally try to avoid "my" with reference to the Thatcher
government - but accept joint guilt.
And whilst the policies may have been legal the actions certainly were not -
even though some of the illegal actions were 'made legal' after the event.
The illegal actions of the Thatcher government are fabulous sources for anyone
interested in a PhD and are scattered across numerous government departments -
including the one in which I worked at the time.

And as for damning Thatcher to hell. You'll be lucky. She, like the rest of
us, is heading only for death.

If she isn't heading for perpetual hell-fire then maybe someone would find a
rack for her before it's too late.