michael

Default Will 5C collet hold my work?

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Ed says...

What I mean is, I don't
want to bore a step in the collets (I'm not doing production work) to
hold the piece a fixed depth in the collet.

You still might want to investigate purchasing some pot
collets (with a pre-bored recess of a specific depth
in the face) for your work.

Another option would be to purchase a few brass collets
to bore out.

Pot collets are very nice to work with, especially for
an application like yours - facing or boring short
parts.

Jim

I was wondering when someone would get around to that. Get some brass or
steel emergency collets and machine to what you need. You can relieve what
you need for thru tools and you can take them out & put in later and have
everything as near perfect as you will need. Fiddling around with a bunch of
stops is bull****, a PITA. Using emergency collets for the sizes you are
doing, you'll be able to change to a different diameter piece in the time it
takes to remove and replace the collet. Unless of course, you want to fiddle
around with different stops that often are tuff to get a part to be in
squarely. Do yourself a favor, make it easy to make good parts. Cheaping out
on tooling and Mickey-Mousing are a waste of time. And I don't necessarily
mean dollar cost.

michael