Posted to misc.consumers.house
sylvan butler

Default preparing an offer on house that has easement for septic tank in neighbors yard

On 7 Mar 2006 22:14:35 -0800, wrote:
Now, one last question. The septic inspection, that included a 3
page report about how the system failed, and how much it would be to
put a mound system in, as well as about an hour and a half on site with
the owner of the septic company and another guy (although we really

I figure to get one person on-site is $50 (if they lose money) to $75
(break-even for them) to $100 (profit from just coming out) in addition
to whatever work they do there. Two people coming out could easily be
$100 just to show up. Two people spent 1.5hrs with you? Add another
$100 for their time.

Did someone come out seperately and spend some time? Add another $75.
Was it more than 30minutes on that visit? Add $35-$50/hr.

Did they have to do any excavation?

Did they pump the septic tank?

Did they put a camera thru the lines?

Did they use any consumables (e.g. flush a dye pack) or specialized
equipment?

Did they do any research about local conditions and/or similar jobs in
the area to prepare your report? e.g. I had an engineering firm compile
a preliminary site drainage design based on research and testing they
had previously performed on a nearby property. Normally a full test
starts at $1500 but often costs far more and takes two to four weeks to
develop a design. I wanted to have an idea in a few days and wanted it
cheap. It cost me $500 with the knowledge that a portion would be
applied to a full test if/when they did such on that property. I did
specify up front what I wanted (which they did not typically do) and
what they would charge. I received probably 4-8 hours of work mostly by
a junior clerk in the firm.

Moral: You have to expect to pay for time, expertise, equipment, etc.

writing to anything, but I figure if I was an as* and tried to take
them to court I would lose anyway.

Yeah, don't do that. At least not before you talk to them, and really,
it is only $360...

What do you guys think??

I think you should carefully evaluate what you know or think they did.
From your description it sounds to me like $300 isn't too far out of
line. If that is really all they did, I'd probably talk to them along
the lines of "I was really suprised by a bill for $360. Having seen the
work you did, I was expecting something more like $200, or maybe $250.
I don't want to cause any hard feelings, but maybe you can explain what
I missed, or perhaps you would take $250 as payment in full?" I would
prefer to do this in person, or at least on the phone. Don't just send
a reduced payment marked "payment in full" unless they refuse to talk.

And remember the bottom line... Treat them like you would like to be
treated. After all, you may need them again some day and on that day
it would be great to have a friend in the business.

sdb
sdbuse1 on mailhost bigfoot.com