Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B

Default How difficult is it to run new AC duct?

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
news
Richard wrote:
Folks, let me explain. This is a house that is ~10 years old, and has
the original flexible duct. I hope to just replace the duct, and
perhaps the vents, so I don't plan on cutting any holes in walls and
ceilings etc., just perhaps install new vents and connect the duct
work to them.

Sounds simple to me.

First, install several lights. That one attic bulb isn't going to cut it.

First, though, take out the existing ducting. A real PITA, since it went in
there when there was no roof on, but it isn't that hard to cut it into small
pieces and hand it down the attic access stairs. Have a good supply of
Band-Aids and first aid supplies handy.

Move and reconnect the existing wires that you have disturbed and messed up
during the previous step.

Fix any holes you may have made in the ceiling by stepping on the sheetrock
in the previous two steps.

Enlarge ceiling access to allow the new pieces of ductwork to be put into
the space. Be sure to brace up the joists you cut so it doesn't fall into
the room below. You may have to cut more than one new attic access points
to get your ductwork up there, and you may have to cut a lot of joists.

Crawl around on old insulation to maneuver the ducts.

Tape them together in cramped spaces. If you have any children, put them to
work. Those small arms and tiny fingers can get into some of the tight
spaces.

Make new connectors to fit them snugly to the existing registers in the
rooms.

Repair the joist/s you had to cut to get these things up there.

Repair all the holes where you stepped on the sheetrock and broke into the
room below.

All in all, a pretty simple sounding job to me.

Steve