Posted to rec.woodworking
Upscale

Default This is so cool! A 'safety' table saw that detects your finger.

"Brian Henderson" wrote in message

I'm not trying to force everyone to use my services though. They are.
They're not fighting to have *SOME* safety equipment mandated on all
saws, they're fighting to have *THEIR* safety equipment mandated. And
of course, since they own the patent on their equipment, every time
any saw manufacturer sells a saw, they get a paycheck.

And what about the other side of the story? From everything that I could
gather, all the other tablesaw manufacturers banded together to keep Sawstop
out of the market. Reason being that incorporating Sawstop technology on
their own products, would cost them profits. The idea was that if they all
spoke as a single unifying force, there was much less chance they'd be sued
for selling potentially dangerous equipment.

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20050701...ptor-gass.html

On one hand, I agree with you that legislation forcing the Sawstop equipment
on people is tantamount to an attempt at a cash grab from everybody. The
other side of the equation is that all the other manufactures might deserve
to be forced to capitulate to the technology. Read the article and decide
for yourself.