Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Boettcher

Default Help picking Seer rating for A/C unit

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 09:59:41 -0500, wrote:

I'm getting ready to have a new furnace and central a/c unit installed.
I'm not sure the size is important but I need a three ton central unit.
My question is how I know what seer rating to go with? I know the higher
the more efficient.
They guy that sized the job says a 10 would be fine but higher would
save me money monthly and will install what i want and gave me the price
on a 10 and a 13, big differance.
How do I know how high to go and not loose money because of the extra I
have to pay for the unit?
I live in northern Kentucky

Go to this site and consider a unit with a SEER rating that will give
you a tax credit for installing a new unit.

http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...pr_tax_credits

Additionally, there are calculators that let you plug in the SEER
rating of your old unit and the SEER rating of your potential
replacement and based on what you pay for electricity, will calculate
the potential annual savings. You can also look at the cost difference
between a 10 SEER and a higher efficiency unit. Some one posted one
of those sites on this news group a couple of months ago. Do a
search.

You will probably pay more for the higher efficiency unit but the
payback should be there with the tax credit and reduced energy bills.

And get competitive bids. The higher efficiency units should be
coming down in price as manufacturers ramp up the volume.

Frank