Posted to sci.electronics.repair
indago

Default Amphenol Millivolt Commander

060307 1848 - Luddite posted:

indago wrote:
060307 1444 - Luddite posted:

indago wrote:
060307 0343 - Luddite posted:

indago wrote:
I have an Amphenol Millivolt Commander Model 870, about 30 years old. It
is
a sensitive, FET unit that uses batteries. Most of the batteries are
general AA 1.5 volt batteries (8), but 2 of the batteries are Duracell
Mercury 1.4 volt batteries (Duracell ZM9). I suppose that these
batteries
are a reference voltage. Mercury batteries are no longer in use, so I
used
two 1.5 volt batteries in their place.

When I turn the on and select battery test, the meter does not move. It
is
supposed to move to above the Battery OK mark. Also, when I select the
positive DC, the meter pegs negative, and when I select the negative DC,
the
meter pegs positive. The batteries are all new batteries, so there is
not
problem with dead batteries.

Anyone ever worked with one of these meters and can give me some insight
into the problem with it?

Polarity of mercury cells is reversed as I recall,turn the one pair
around if the holder will accept it.

All of the batteries are in their holders in the proper polarity, as shown
on the chart. I did change the two batteries as you had suggested, and
nothing changed with the operation of the meter.

Does the chart show +/- or an outline drawing of the cells?

Both

I thought that would do it,then theres always the manual
type amphenol millivolt commander into google and click on the
first result from bama.edebris.com its 7mb or so

I already have the owners manual that came with the tester. Is that 7mb
download a service manual?