Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Brophy

Default Shopsmith lathe info

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:54:54 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I have a chance to get a used Shopsmith real reasonable. I am only
interested in using it as a lathe and I was wondering what your opinion/s of
it is for lathe work. Would I be better off getting a Delta or Jet? They
cost 600 bucks plus. Thanks for your opinions.

I forgot to mention, my current SS 500 is made of cobbled together
parts off of ebay costing about 250$ total. though I do have the 12"
disc sander, I also have two additional lathe faceplates with 12" x
3/4" mdf discs screwed on them. I keep each sanding disc permanently
configured with three different grit discs on them for convenience. I
think the mdf/faceplate discs are smother and more true than the steel
one I have from the factory...Joe.