Posted to rec.woodworking
foggytown

Default Finger/box joints: a report

Dear Group,

After all my playing around I can happily report that a router table
with straight bit does a VERY good job making these kinds of joints.
The fingers and spaces are uniform in size, fit snugly and look just
fine. The set-up isn't difficult and the only problem was finally
realizing that, unless a stop is used, the stock tends to kick right a
bit at first bite and my holes were ending up a bit bigger than I
wanted. I can also report that this mewthod works a lot better when
the grain is perpendicular to the bit. (At least with the oak and
utili I am using.) When cutting through cross grain the tearout at the
back (even with a backer) is a problem.

Respectfully submitted to the Group,
FoggyTown