Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

Default what's a line reactor?

In article ,
says...
So I've got this box that's been sitting around in the yard for about a year
now. Says Trans Tec line reactor. Three phase, gives PN, current rating
etc.

When I open it up, it just looks like a transformer except that it has three
coils around three metal cores.

This works as some sort of filter by using the three phases against
each other? But I don't quite see the point.

Can anyone illuminate?

Line reactors are often used on the line side of VFDs to attenuate
electrical noise introduced back into the supply. On the motor side of
the VFD a line reactor can protect the motor from voltage spikes caused
by long motor leads.

You'd have to track down the part number on yours to tell whether it's
intended for either of these uses, or something entirely different.

Ned Simmons