Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

Default what's a line reactor?

Ignoramus9620 wrote:

A very enlightening article can be found he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturable_reactor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_amplifier

I have 6 DC power supplies 0-100A, 0-40v, that use saturable
reactors/magnetic amplifiers to achieve regulated voltage output.

Except that you don't deliberately want a line
reactor to saturate and it's not a magnetic amplifier.

There are a couple of things it might be used for.
One is between a VFD and a load. A VFD output
is a series of steps and since the reactor limits
instantaneous current, the steps get smoothed out.

Likewise, since the reactor limits instantaneous
current, they are used to keep short-circuit
fault current down to a reasonable level until
a fuse can blow or a breaker can open.

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 16:33:47 -0500, DOC wrote:

So I've got this box that's been sitting around in the yard for about a year
now. Says Trans Tec line reactor. Three phase, gives PN, current rating
etc.

When I open it up, it just looks like a transformer except that it has three
coils around three metal cores.

This works as some sort of filter by using the three phases against
each other? But I don't quite see the point.

Can anyone illuminate?
:-)

Tanks,
DOC