Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower
David Hansen

Default Solar water heating system value

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 15:58:30 -0400 someone who may be Derek
Broughton wrote this:-

Handling them... Maybe they're tougher than they look, but something so
like a 4' fluorescent tube doesn't inspire confidence.

The glass is rather stronger than that found in fluorescent tubes.

An engineer friend tells me that they also frequently suffer from
seal failure.

That certainly was a problem with some designs.

Why would you put a lip there?

Why personalise the discussion by asking what I would do? The fact
is that there is likely to be a small lip, if only to retain things.
I have no idea how much attention manufacturers pay to detailing in
terms of shedding snow, but I imagine UK manufacturers pay it no
attention.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh