Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower
Derek Broughton

Default Solar water heating system value

Steve Spence wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

The fifty US gallon figure I quoted, was not for HOT water - it was for
ALL daily water use.

I know that's what you said. Nevertheless,
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/solar/apps/sdhw/dhwsave.htm says it IS what
families use.

key word being "estimated". There really no way of knowing for sure,
since it isn't metered, and they didn't do a 100% sampling. Our water
usage is less than half that, even when we were on grid.

Sure, and you can figure out how much total water the townies use from
municipal records, but you still don't know how much the well-users pump,
and you don't know how much of any of that is heated, but everything points
to that being pretty well normal. I would think my use is lower than most
- if for no better reason than I have to quit showering when the 10gal tank
goes cold - but that still means we use well over 20gal of hot water daily,
for only two people.

At a guess, we could probably do a 100% sampling of this newsgroup, and get
a significantly lower usage than 50gal/day for a family of four. But then,
we're the people who care about such things...
--
derek