Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Smithz

Default Varnishing Pine Bathroom Door - Tips?

Hi there,

I recently had fitted a new (Homebase - knotted Pine - £20) pine door from
Homebase onto my bathroom. I was just going to use Ronseal quick drying
varnish for the door as other doors in the flat have similar pine doors that
have been stained or varnished.

Then I noticed the bathroom varnish and although the door does not get wet,
the bathroom can get very steamy so I thought it was probably worth going
for this instead (at least on the side facing the bathroom).

Being a complete novice:

1) Is it worth going for this instead of the quick dry?
2) Can I get away with using my £1.99 set of brushes from B&Q. (5 brushed in
this set) as disposal brushes for this job?
3) I intended to use making tape around the handle and hinges to stop
varnish getting on them . Wise?
4) Anything else I should be aware of or other tips to help me get a good
job.

I thought I would just lay a sheet of cardboard under the door, do the
inside side first, then squeeze out and do the outside.
Once done I will move on to my new living room glass pine door (has lots of
glass pieces in it to let the light through). For this I thought I would use
masking tape to protect the glass panels in the door.

Any pointers appreciated.

Kind regards

Dave