Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Default water meters

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:26:28 GMT, "dennis@home"
wrote:

snip fascist nonsense

It was after this second battle that the policy on power generation was
changed and more gas and oil plant was built.

I would have done the same as the government except I think I would have
built more AGRs rather than oil.

Besides getting everything else wrong the last oil fired power station
to be built in the UK was at Grain. Construction commenced well
before Thatcher even walked though the doors at number 10 that fateful
day in May 1979. In addition during the period 1989 to 1997 the
generated output from oil fired power stations in the UK declined from
6% to zero. (OFFER [now OFGEM] Review of Energy Sources Report April
1998)

During Thatcher's tenure, while a number of nuclear stations
authorised by the previous labour government were completed, together
with the 2nd half of Drax, not one single power station project was
authorised with the sole exception of Sizewell B.

Thatcher was busy raking it in on the conference circuit when the
first combined cycle gas fired generation at Roosecote was declared
available in mid 1991. The rest of the gas gobblers rapidly following
until the share of gas in the electricity market had grown from 0% in
1989 to 31% in 1997 (OFFER report referred to above) While this
happened after Thatcher had left office the dash for gas was as a
direct result of legislation forced through by her dictatorship.

In the light of the current and ongoing gas crisis, even the most
brain dead, head up their arse, bung in a plain envelope, fcuk you I'm
alright jack, tory would accept that this was a VERY bad idea.

And all because of one evil bitch, with no foresight and a serious
attitude problem.