Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower,alt.solar.thermal
David Turner, Island Computers US Corp

Default Solar water heating system value

For what it costs I see no talk of timers/solar/cost comparisons etc

I installed a hot water heater timer in our house 3 months ago

It is on from 7-9:30am then 5:30 to 10pm.

That means it is only actually running (actual power availability that is)
about 7.5 hours
The insulation is good enough that it is not drawing power than for maybe
half of that

At 13C/KW in Savannah GA that ain't much (heater is 4500W 50 Gallon)
Ergo = $4.38/day which is at most $131.63 per month

In reality it is running about 1/2 of that, so it is costing about $65/month
to heat water !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI That is almost $800 per year (minimum) to have hot water

Now does anyone see the value to having a Solar Hot Water heater?!?!?!?!?!?!

--

David B Turner
Island Computers US Corp

"If Progress is good for the people, what is Congress?"
wrote in message

Lets say it saves =A320 a year heating dhw only.

Would that be 20 UK pounds per year? Sounds like a very poor water

heater.
... American families pay about $20 per month for hot water.

Welcome to uk.diy Nick. Maybe you can give them a pointer or 2 on how
to make a constructive DHW system that pays its way...

It isn't worth doing much to save 20 pounds per year, but it might make
more sense to collect both hot water and space heat from a polytunnel,
which might have a linear parabolic reflective north wall over a 2'x6'x8'
shoebox tank with an EPDM or polyethylene film liner and a $60 1"x300'

piece
of pressurized polyethylene pipe for a heat exchanger and a horizontal
draindown EPDM cover with a small pump to move water up 2" over the cover
when the sun is shining, and a greywater heat exchanger, eg 2 55 gallon
drums with PE pipe in series.

Gary Reysa and I have been working on this sort of DIY stuff. See

http://BuildItSolar.com.

Nick