Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Prometheus

Default tricky finishing porblem

On 8 Mar 2006 01:38:22 -0800, wrote:

i would appreciate your suggestions for finishing the following bowl.
it is beech , it has been carved througout the surface which is going
to be filled with oil paint. the surface is then going to be scorched
with a blow torch. i have experimented on a practice piece and had a
few problems :

You're filling the carvings with paint, and then scorching the
exterior, right? Where does the oil come into play here? There's
nothing magickal about the use of oil beyond the nice way it makes the
grain pop- something that isn't all that important if it's painted and
scorched. Why not paint the recessed areas, allow to dry, sand off
the excess, scorch the wood, and then spray the whole thing with a can
of spar polyurethane? I can't see how it would hurt anything, and for
me it's a lot easier. If the inside of the bowl is smooth and you
want to oil it to make the grain pop, just finish that seperately.

1. when oiling with danish or teak the oil will run out of the carvings
and eventually harden with run marks. the carvings are small like
piercings and the oil sits in them unable to be wiped. i feel spraying
will cause the same effect. more care ? maybe but i think eventually i
will get a run and i cant sand it out without destroying the scorched
finish.

Light coats with the spray can or hvlp sprayer, using a different
finish. Poly, Laquer, or Shellac are all going to be easier to use,
and look about the same over painted and charred wood. If you use
shellac, don't expect to ever wash it in water.

2. the residue from the scorching is being picked up by the oil and
depostied into the carved sections - i had buiffed it off lightly but
dont want to spoil the scorched effect.

No way around that with oil, at least not that I've been able to find.
I've done some scorched stuff for my dad, as he's really into "rustic"
cowboy stuff, and you just can't touch it until it's got a protective
coat over it- and that includes wiping it with oil. You might be able
to spray the oil, but it takes a little while to soak in, and has a
long open time, so it's still possible it's going to lift up little
bits of ash and float them over the piece.

3. i could use parafin oil as it wont dry hard and wont cause runs as
much but as i am diluting the oil paint in the finishing oil i am wary
that the paint may not dry aswell.

Why are you diluting paint with finishing oil? They've got "paint
thinner" for just that purpose, and you don't risk destroying the
curing properites of the paint.

any suggestions ?