Roy

Default Will 5C collet hold my work?

You can buy or make a collet stop that fits in the back and presets
the depth stock can be entered, and there is no doubt in my mind if
you have to through drill stock held in a collet that you could
fashion a hollow stemed stop for the collet to allow boring completely
though the stock. I say not a problem.

On 13 Oct 2003 11:56:37 -0700, (Ed) wrote:

===I'm considering purchasing a 5C collet chuck for my lathe. I'm
===currently using 3 & 4 jaw chucks and want the added accuracy of 5C
===collets. Having no experience with 5C collets, can someone tell me if
===they will hold my work: I work a lot with bar stock in the range of
===0.7" to 1" diameter, in pre-cut lengths of 0.120" to 0.5". I need to
===bore these pre-drilled pieces to ID's ranging from 0.5" to 0.8". This
===is not production work - I can't build a specialized fixture or modify
===a collet for each piece.
===
===I plan to have 5C collets in 1/64" sizes for my OD range. Will
===standard 5C collets hold my work for boring? What I mean is, I don't
===want to bore a step in the collets (I'm not doing production work) to
===hold the piece a fixed depth in the collet. I'd like to have some
===sort of internal collet stop that still allows the 3/8" boring bar to
===pass through the center. Any help is appreciated.
===
===Regards,
===Ed Ferguson

Visit my website: