Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower
Ron Purvis

Default Solar water heating system value

"Derek Broughton" wrote in message
Ron Purvis wrote:

I think you are off on your figures. According to
http://www.fsec.ucf.edu/solar/apps/sdhw/dhwsave.htm the typical home uses
20 gallons of hot water per day for the first two persons and 15 gallons
of hot water for each additional person. That would be 25,550 gallons of
hot water per year for a family of four.

OK, I'll accept those numbers. Anyone got a better figure on the average
cost of heating water? My numbers for heat required are, if anything, on
the low side, but at $25/million BTU, and only 25,000 gallons per year,
you're talking $250/year (somebody else said $20/month, so same ballpark).
Still plenty to make a commercial solar water heater pay off.

--
derek

According to
http://www.powerhousetv.com/stellent...555.hcsp#P-4_0
the typical home uses 17% of their energy consumption on heating water. That
would make it somewhere between $15 and $30 a month for most families. They
also state on that page that "A family of four, each taking a five-minute
shower a day, can cut water heating costs $250 a year by switching to a
low-flow showerhead." Given that, I would have to say that the statement
that you would only save 20 British Pounds a year ($34.73) a year to be
completely ignorant of the actual facts.