Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.energy.homepower
David Hansen

Default Solar water heating system value

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 12:22:51 -0000 someone who may be "Mary Fisher"
wrote this:-

Why half? I can get 80% at least. You only do laundry when the sun's out
(which is true anyway because I'm off grid), you take showers in the
afternoon, and do dishes in the evening.

It has changed the way we use hot water.

And it's turned us into thermoholics - watching the thermometer every time
we pass!

In some ways changing attitudes to energy use is at least as
important as anything else. The Sustainable Development Commission
looked at the way local power sources change attitudes in
http://www.sd-commission.org.uk/publications.php?id=239 from which
the quote ‘It seems that micro-generation provides a tangible hook
to engage householders emotionally with the issue of energy use…
Householders described the sheer pleasure of creation and of
self-sufficiency: “It’s like growing your own vegetables”’ is a good
one.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh