Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Stress calcs. for the intellectually challenged

wrote in message
ups.com...
Best advice if it's just for information, not for building control,
is to get the demo version of Superbeam (its free). I worked out my
roof design using that, and put it on plans for building control.
They then demanded some structuiral calculations for which I had to
pay 80 quid, which showed that my design was OK (which I knew).
The calcs by a qualified structural engineer took up about 15 pages
and gave me a nasty flash-back to A-level physics.
Simon.

A friend has a garage with a flat roof. He wants to put a pitched roof on.
The roof is merely for looks as the flat roof is waterproof. The garage
roof will not be big at all as the garge can just about fit a Cavalier car.
Would Building Control need to be notified and would they require stress
calcs for such a simple small roof? A cut roof using 2x4s would be well
strong, and I can't see the need for calcs in this instance as rule of thumb
is more than good enough.