Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

Default Stress calcs. for the intellectually challenged

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:22:42 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

I acquired an ordinary national certificate in mechanical engineering
some 40+ years ago, unused since.

Can some kind person direct me to a source for understandable formulae
for working out approximate purlin loading on a simple pitched roof? I
assume the existing trusses will be adequate.

I am replacing a time expired corrugated steel roof and am considering
using composite roof panels which are much heavier:-)

The original building is Victorian/agricultural but I can't see any
evidence of an earlier slate covering and the truss/purlin spacing is
only suitable for rigid sheeting.

Having just glanced at a chapter on theory of structures (Mitchell,
building construction) I fear I may be heading for deep water:-)

regards

Seems like a fine opportunity for combined roofing and solar heating
panels, depending on your orientation. Good luck with the calcs.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.