Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Speechless

Default Wanted: cnc or waterjet machine time

On 7 Mar 2006 13:47:00 -0800, "Bandit" wrote:

Yes, IT is a personal job project (in a UNION SHOP) and not a "company
job" that I am looking to complete, plus cnc would be faster and more
precise in the long run.

If the issue is getting some CNC work done, why don't you make it a
"company job"? Approach the general manager during coffee break,
explain what you want done, and ask him to give you an official quote.
Make it a business proposition between yourself and your company. All
the companies I've worked at would do employee work at cost as a
matter of corporate policy. Just be aware that "at cost" in a factory
is a lot more than just the hourly wage of the machine operator --
you'd better be sitting down when you receive the quote.