JMartin957

Default cost of hand scraping exercise

I don't know if I can simply walk to my neighborhood hardware store to
get a 3 cornered scraper; even if they have 3 cornered scrapers, I'm so
ignorant that I wouldn't know if it is suitable for metal or whether for
some reason it should only be used on wood. I might have to order it,
which would involve shipping costs and maybe minimum orders.

It occurs to me that I might also have to consider getting some kind of
grinder in case the scraper gets worn. Maybe at my present level of
commitment
and competence, it would be more cost effective just to get a spare scraper.

The 3 cornered scraper is used more for bearings or bur removal than for flat
scraping. You want an end-cutting scraper, available in steel or carbide edge.
Looks like a flat file, with the end ground to a very slight arc at 90 degrees
or close to it. Some users make them from old files.

For sharpening, you'll need a bench grinder and an oilstone.

John Martin