Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob Vaughan

Default Electrical questions

In article ,
Speedy Jim wrote:
Big Al wrote:

I'm fixing up a late 40's house. I found some interesting wiring and I need
some advice. From the box outside under the meter there are two conduits
leaving. One has four wires all hooked to the neutral, the other has four
wires all hooked to various fused "hots." Is this normal? I was expecting
the hot and neutral in the same conduit?? I'm going to try to get a ground
in the house at least for the kitchen and bath. I'm assuming these wires all
go into the fuse box in the house. But then why would there be fuses in both
places? There are no other wires going into the house from the meter area.

It's improper not to run the neutrals in the same
raceway with the Hot conductors. Is it a huge deal
in this case? Probably not.

This is a code violation, and should be fixed.
This wiring configuration can cause inductive heating of metal conduit,
which could be a fire hazard depending on the load.

All phase and neutral wires of a given circuit must run thru the same conduit.

Bob Vaughan | techie @ tantivy.net |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309 |
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --