Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electrical outlet no longer working

Last month I had an electrical outlet inside our front entry area go
bad while I was vacuuming, I think I accidentally pulled the plug while
the thing was running or something along that line, but don't remember
exactly what caused it. Nevertheless, it's no longer working .

After turning off and on the power from the box outside for the switch
in that area and the main switch that controls everything as well,
neither of those solved the problems. Thinking something maybe
happened with the outlet I tried swapping a working outlet from another
room with that one, still no go. After that I was reading on the
internet that a GFCI outlet from another room could be the cause, so I
tried resetting all the GFCI outlets in the house even though this
didn't have the little GFCI sticker on the face plate like some do, so
I'm not sure if it's even related to any of those that do state GFCI on
them. There were 4 outlets in the house that had the reset/test
buttons on them by the way, and others that have the little GFCI
stickers on them, this problem outlet not being one of them.

So today I picked up one of those little receptacle testers, plugged it
into that outlet and it shows one yellow light on the right which
allegedly means "Neutral contact not connected". Everything's
connected as I far as I can see, and I reconnected it just as I took it
out to test the other outlet from another room. It has those wires
that you push in and they lock into place if that matters at all.

This is a relatively new home (less than 3 years old) and all other
outlets and electrical functions work just fine. Does anyone have any
ideas as to what may be causing this? If so, I'd greatly appreciate
any help you can lend in this matter.

Thanks for your time!

David