Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg G

Default Interrupted lathe cuts -- Technique?

Thanks Grant,

My finished diameter (1.97") will be greater than can swing over the slide
so I can't avoid the risers . However, I will keep the suggestion in mind
for future use as I hadn't thought of using my band saw that way -- only
thought of milling.

Greg

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Greg G wrote:

I'm using manual Sherline lathe and have never been comfortable with

turning
down rectangular stock. Now I need to turn to a round 3" of a 2" square
piece of Fortal aluminum. This requires riser blocks all the way

around on
the Lathe (to clear the slide but decreasing stiffness) and work holding

in
a 3.1" independant 4 jaw chuck with jaws reversed. The grip area for

the
chuck in this configuration is quite small which adds to my discomfort

(I
will be using a tailstock center). Can someone give me some general or
specific advice on such operations: Is this as hard on the equipment as

it
sounds and feels? Best tool to use -- HSS, braised carbide, inserts,

normal
rake, etc.? Speed, feed, cut, etc.? General advice or techniques?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

Bandsaw away most of the waste to start with, maybe you won't need risers

GWE