Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Atlas/Craftsman 6" ways measurements

John Martin wrote:

If you have all the parts, you should be able to figure out what you
need.

Well someones giving me a tailstock but I don't have it till they get
back from vacation.

The ebay pictures I've seen shows a larger gap at the headstock end but
I can figure that one out, just wondering about the rest of the gap,
which you reference below.

Ways are 4.625" wide, with 1.615" gap in center. Thickness is .4375"
at ledges. Front ledge is .250" deep, rear ledge is .425".

Unless you just WANT to make one, find a used bed. Or, if you only
have MOST of the pieces, find a complete lathe. Building a machine
from parts is not the way to go - it takes a long time and it's
expensive.

I'll buy a good lathe but as a project I think it will be interesting.
I'm more interested in the engineering/design side of lathes than using
them.