Ole-Hjalmar Kristensen

Default Every wanted to see a Chinese production facility?

"jr" == jim rozen writes:

jr In article , Ed Huntress
jr says...

You have to ask yourself why this is happening. If NAFTA and China trade are
supposed to leave the high-end jobs in the US (they're even supposed to
*increase* the number of high-end manufacturing jobs in the US, according to
their supporters), why have average manufacturing wages, adjusted for
inflation, declined by 7.6% in the US over the last 25 years or so? There's
a pattern, and there are numbers, and they fly right in the face of the
free-trade doctrine.

jr Ah, but it's more than the 'low end' jobs that are begin outsourced.

jr Great article in the NY Times last week that says there's a bunch
jr of investment houses that are beginning to open branches in India
jr and hiring analysts from those counties. Of course right now
jr they say 'we're only sending the scut work overseas' but I think
jr this is the same thing that GM was doing when they said 'we're
jr opening that engine factory so we can sell the cars in, um,
jr China.'

jr If I were running a software company or an investment house,
jr and I could hire software engineers or MBAs and PhDs at
jr half the cost to run my operations, I'd be stupid not to
jr take advantage of that.

The software industry has been doing this for years. The results are
mixed, but there is no doubt that you will face increasing competition
from low cost countries in this field as well.

jr It's interesting to hear all the handwaving and backpedaling
jr when the company speakers explain why they're not just moving
jr most of their operations overseas.

jr Jim

jr please reply to:
jr JRR(zero) at yktvmv (dot) vnet (dot) ibm (dot) com

--

Sun Microsystems cannot have these opinions even if they wanted to.