Posted to alt.home.repair
Rich

Default Contractors Insurance: What To Ask For ?

"...Make sure your contractor is INSURED for both Worker's Compensation
and General Liability. Don't take the contractor's word or accept a copy of
an insurance binder from the contractor.
The only secure way is to get the name of the contractor's insurance
carrier,
look the number up in the phone book yourself, then call and ask for a
Certificate of Insurance. The carrier will be happy to send you one in the
mail..."

http://www.garagedoorsupply.com/findacontractor.html

====================================
Garage Door Parts, LLC
973-472-4818
http://www.garagedoorsupply.com
====================================

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hello:

Will be dealing with a contractor for a roofing job.
Have never really dealt with any before on a "big" job.

Regarding insurance that they should have:

a. What papers and proof of insurance should I request that I receive a
copy of from him ?

I guess this should include Liability, and Workmen's Compensation, as
well as some other types.
Right ? What should I ask for specifically, please ?

What about insurance for Medical related accidents his workers might
have happen on the job ?
What kind of insurance should they carry for this ?

b. Also, I read about some time back about something called a "Workmen's
Lien"
Not at all sure I have the name correct.

Has to do with, I think, if the major contractor does not pay any
workers he hires, they can sue the homeowner directly for lost wages, etc.
What kind of paper work or insurance coverage should I request to see
from him so that I am protected against this possibly happening ?

Anything else I should be asking here, but not smart enough to know to ask
?

Much thanks
Bob