Posted to alt.home.repair
Dick

Default High Cost of Keeping Hot Tub Ready To Go

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 22:30:53 -0800, "Steve B"
wrote:

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote

One thing you can do right away, and it's not expensive. Buy a
thermal cover for your hot tub. These go under the insulated top
cover, and float on the water. A bit of a pain when you want to use
it, but saves a lot of heat that would otherwise escape. I have used
both the foam (red colored) and the type that looks like bubble wrap.
Both seem to work well, but I prefer the foam type.

Dick

One can see a lot by observing. I never knew such a thing existed. I think
I will get one soon, too.

You don't manufacture these things, do you? You are sure selling a lot of
them.

Steve

I guess I should. :-) We started using the thermal blankets when we
lived in the panhandle of Idaho, and the temp could get down to 20 to
30 below 0F. Made a big difference in our propane use. That tub was
installed in a deck and used propane for heat. One thing about the
covers. They are just square when you get them. You have to cut to
fit your tub exactly. I start by cutting the maximum size in both
directions. Then I lay it on the water and cut out all the odd
shapes. The better job you do, the better the seal.

Dick