Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default Contractors Insurance: What To Ask For ?

Hello:

Will be dealing with a contractor for a roofing job.
Have never really dealt with any before on a "big" job.

Regarding insurance that they should have:

a. What papers and proof of insurance should I request that I receive a
copy of from him ?

I guess this should include Liability, and Workmen's Compensation, as
well as some other types.
Right ? What should I ask for specifically, please ?

What about insurance for Medical related accidents his workers might
have happen on the job ?
What kind of insurance should they carry for this ?

b. Also, I read about some time back about something called a "Workmen's
Lien"
Not at all sure I have the name correct.

Has to do with, I think, if the major contractor does not pay any
workers he hires, they can sue the homeowner directly for lost wages, etc.
What kind of paper work or insurance coverage should I request to see
from him so that I am protected against this possibly happening ?

Anything else I should be asking here, but not smart enough to know to ask ?

Much thanks
Bob