Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Default Atlas/Craftsman 6" ways measurements

Marc Britten wrote:
Does anyone have measurements for the Atlas made craftsman 6" lathe
bed/ways? I have most of the pieces and a LOT of scrap metal, I figured I
might be able to make one.

I've heard to stock ones are a little light so they have drawback.

Anyways default thickness width of the 2 sides, etc. would be great.

If you have all the parts, you should be able to figure out what you
need.

Ways are 4.625" wide, with 1.615" gap in center. Thickness is .4375"
at ledges. Front ledge is .250" deep, rear ledge is .425".

Yeah, the stock ones are a little light. So is the headstock, the
carriage, the compound, the tailstock, the spindle, the gear train and
the countershaft. Replace those and you'll have a much more rigid
machine.

Unless you just WANT to make one, find a used bed. Or, if you only
have MOST of the pieces, find a complete lathe. Building a machine
from parts is not the way to go - it takes a long time and it's
expensive.

John Martin