Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

Default How would you wire 6 mains spot lights together?

In article
Cordless Crazy wrote:

Richard Conway Wrote:
Cordless Crazy wrote:
How would you wire 6 mains spot lights together? I am setting them
out
such that I have a set (consisting of 2 lights) between a pair of
joist. 3 sets in total spread across the room, making the 6No lights.

Simple enough, but as there are a few options what is the preferred:

1. All in series using 6 junction boxes plus 1 to connect to the old
light supply. (7No 6A JB's in total)
2. Split the lighting supply like a star so they are essentially in
parallel. This in theory will not work with a typical 6A JB as it
only
allows a max of 4 wires to connect at once. Could I use a 32A and
fire
all the 6 'tails' plus 1 supply in to this? (1No 32A JB only)
3. Have them wired in 3 sets of two i.e. 2 lights going in to 1 JB
then
all connecting to a further JB in to which the supply comes (4 6A
JB's
in total)

I is thinking of doing the third option. What do you lot reckon?

Can you not get two wires into the terminals of each spot so you can
go
from one to the next without any JBs?

Yes, I can, but as Rob said do the lights not end up with only 40v each
and very dim?

They're not in series, they're in parallel. Each fitting except the end
one has a live in and a live out in one terminal, a neutral in and a
neutral out in the other terminal.

+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+---------- LIVE
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
0 0 0 0 0 0
| | | | | |
| | | | | |
+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------+--------- NEUTRAL

I'd do it in two sets of three fittings each, so you have one cable run
down each side of the room. Only one junction box is needed:

________ _____________NEUTRAL
\ /
NEUTRAL TO LIGHTS X
________/