Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry

Default Solar PV (was: Solar water heating)

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 22:53:09 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

Solar water heating may be marginal but solar pv is a wonderful way
of wasting money.

I don't see how. Sure, if you buy factory-made panels and all the
necessary pro stuff and pay for the installation.

I'm not sure DIY construction of solar photovoltaic panels is really
going to catch on :-).

This is a DIY group. Building panels from base materials and feeding a
pre-heat cylinder works out at less than a couple of hundred quid if you
DIY the whole thing from salvaged materials.

I've helped build such a system for warming a swimming pool and it
works quite adequately - it's also very large and pretty hideous.
Where we built it it was possible to hide it behind a large hedge but
not many people have a farm to play with.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/