Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud--

Default Running electric...

Pop wrote:
Uh, no, metal conduit is stronger, won't break, splinter or
crack, and more protective phsically, plus nearly any code will
accept it. Not so with plastics.
That's not to say plastic isn't acceptable; it may well be
fine with your local codes. The only way to know is to check.
They're in the phone book, easy to find.

I can't imagine how you would think conduit can cut wire; if it
goes in uncut, it'll stay uncut. Moreso in metal, in fact, than
in plastic.

All that said, there ARE correct ways to use conduit; research it
a little bit if it's totally new to you. Do it right and then
you can forget about it after it's in, and you'll never lose a
night's sleep over it.

HTH

Pop

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message

There is no problem fishing the cable through the chase. You
don't have to staple it where you can't reach it. If you want
to use conduit, I'd recommend PVC, so if the cable were to get
cut by the conduit, it's nonconductive.

"MB" wrote in message
groups.com...

I'm putting a bathroom in my 2nd floor (new construction, none
exists
at this location).. I need to bring a few circuits up from
the service
panel in the basement. There is two chases available for me
to run
them in, seperated by the chimney between the two chases. The
first
chase is full (Heat, AC Return, various other electric cables
just
hanging in there)...I want to use the other chase....Problem
is tacking
the cables in the chase as I only have access from the 2nd
floor and
the basement, no way to secure the cables at the 1st floor
level (w/o
removing walls, etc on the 1st floor).

I'd like to run EMT from the 2nd floor to the basement and run
the
cables through that....Is there any code issues with running
the cables
through EMT? I'd be able to secure the EMT on both the 2nd
floor and
the basement level.

Thanks in advance, this group has always been helpful in the
past!

Matt

Fishing Romex through such a space is a common practice. I don't see why
conduit is useful.

I don't see an advantage of EMT over PVC.

In addition to reaming the pipe, the NEC requires a fitting (connector,
coupling) on the ends to protect the cable (2005NEC 300.15-C). This
provides a more rounded edge. Even this edge can cut the jacket and
insulation if installed carelessly. I know of no requirement for a bushing.

"Short sections" of conduit for protection of cable are not required to
be grounded (250.86-ex2).

bud--