Posted to alt.home.repair
Big Al

Default Hanging a door

Need to replace three doors in my late 40's home. One is framed with some
odd lumber, it measures 3 by 5 inches. I'm just going to reframe it and put
a prehung door in. The other 2 are in frames I can't just remove and
replace. Went to a local home improvement center and found doors that are
about the right size. They are just blanks. Any tips or can someone point me
to some instructions on how to hand these? My thoughts are to remove the
existing door, remove all hardware. Clamp the existing door to the
replacement and mark the hinge positions. Then try to make a decent cut out
for the hinge. Seems to me this is not the best idea but I can't think of a
better one.

Al