Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default How to grow Ivy (with minimal sun)

"Puddin' Man" wrote in message
Thanks to all for helpful info on this little issue.

I knew that ivy was invasive and should be kept away from
masonry, etc, but the proposed patch could've been just
another stop on my weed-whacker route. Apparently it's
not necessarily that simple.

Turns out there's a neighbor with both ivy and hasta
(who actually knows gardening g) who has offered
some hasta.

So I'll try hasta this season. Maybe ivy next season if
the hasta doesn't work out.

That's HOSTA, with an "O" in the middle. Take a look at the spacing of your
friend's hosta before they're dug up. Unless he's growing miniatures, they
will quickly reach 3-4 feet in diameter. Every few years, you can dig them
up, split them, and give them to unsuspecting friends. Even though it'll
look a bit empty at first, be sure to plant them with enough space. And, not
up against a wall, unless you like smashing your knuckles against the bricks
when it's time to dig them up.