Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default Allthread for my bench top?

Charlie, those are some incredibly good ideas. The first thing I pictured
for barrel nuts was slots sawed in for the bolts to lay in, and screw into
the barrel nuts. But drilled holes for that would allow the top to remain
stronger indeed. I would have to do it on a drill press.

I WAS going to just glue-spline the apron into the front, or what you call
'the core of the top'. But I guess there will still have to be a spline, glued
into either the front of the core or into the apron, the apron obviously.

In order to lengthen the bench top in the future, I would have to make a
whole new apron, which incidentally is also the first dog hole strip.
That would also include a longer breadboard end. A whole lot of work.
Not trying to discourage myself, just a consideration.

But Charlie, if I did all gluing instead of your idea, do you really think
it would be bad in the case of wood movement through the seasons of
differences in humidity? I mean, it's all the same maple, including any
splines... here in California we really don't have that problem drastically.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com