Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default looking for sources of mild steel rods for axles

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 01:36:34 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 19:23:32 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

I'd suggest for axles yu might want to use something a bit stronger
than mild steel. Drill rod is great, but there are other alloys
available that are stonger than mild. Try your local "metal
supermarket" or equivalent. You definitely want CRS if you are in the
US or Canada. Can't remember what the Britts and other colonials call
it - but it is "brite".

Any steel is quite sufficient for axles to be used with plastic
wheels.

OK, but plastic wheels were not, to my knowlege, specified. It's
entirely possible, however, that I missed it.

I have often used "fixture pipe" for light axles. Find an old table
lamp and pull it apart - the tube up the center that holds it all
together, and that the cord runs up, is pretty strong - and if it's
the right length you can use the"fixture nuts" to hold the wheel on.