Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.finance
Bob Eager

Default Compulsory water metering

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 20:24:09 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message
Andy Hall wrote:
It's all too easy nowadays....
I think that anybody wanting to put graphics in Usenet articles should
have to configure UUCP connections to run with obscure and flakey
modems run over transatlantic links and make them work reliably
without running up a phone bill the size of the national debt.....
That would learn 'em.

Eee, transatlantic phone links, tha was spoilt. When Ah were a lad we 'ad
Usenet sent over on tape by sea mail and thought ourselves lucky :-)

Hadn't pigeons been invented then?

No, the use of pigeons as an underlying physical networking layer wasn't
proposed until 1990:

ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc1149.txt