Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts

Default Where is all the black stuff coming from?

On Mon, 06 Mar 2006 20:09:31 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
snip
(1) When I run the cold mains at full blast (e.g. the bath tap) I get a
few black flecks in the water. Not a massive amount, but I didn't think I
should get any.

snip

We should be getting rid of the shower soon - new heating system which
will run a mains pressure shower - so I'm not too worried about that. I'm
more concerned about the black bits in the cold mains.

If this is from internal pipework this isn't too bad as this is also going
- ripping it all out back to the stopcock (and changing the stopcock
because it doesn't stop).

If it coming in from the mains water supply I would prefer that it did not.

It's probably coming from iron pipework. Do you have iron pipes
either before or after the main stop cock?

I think the pipes embedded in the kitchen wall after the stopcock may well
be iron. There are certainly a few bits of iron pipe around the central
heating so iron may also be in the cold water supply.

If the piping before the stopcock is iron, then presumably I have to fit a
new run of plastic pipe from the road, or fit some kind of filter?

Running new pipe could be a problem - the drive is block paved and the
current water runs under the floor of the garage (or of the house).

What are the dangers associated with black flecks and iron pipes (if any)?

Cheers

Dave R