Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

Default Braided Flexible Hoses used in Plumbing Systems

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 18:54:32 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 13:26:23 +0000, Andy Hall wrote:

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 13:14:13 +0000, Nigel Molesworth
wrote:

On 5 Mar 2006 04:11:02 -0800, Merryterry wrote:

admit I sell WRAS Approved hoses but I do not want anyone to get
Legionnaires Disease thro ignorance.

One could say the same thing about shower pipes. But the fact that you
sell "approved" hoses makes me think you may be biased.

I'm willing to bet that I'm the only person in this newsgroup who has
suffered from Legionella bacteria - really, I have!

What was the source as a matter of interest?

This is the key. I'm somewhat disinclined to believe this.

Hoses on mains cold are carrying chlorinated potable cold water.
In all other cases the water is not exposed to the atmosphere or is cold
(storage cistern) where it does so.
The risks must be vanishly small, i.e. Other risks are far more
significant, e.g. using the stairs or driving a vehicle.

Accidents with Stairs over 600 /year
Fatal Accidents with vehicles over 2000 /year
Case of Legionella in the UK from sources in the UK a few dozen per
decade, usually as a one off outbreak invariably from a recirculating
source of warm water exposed to the atmosphere.

I tend not to use flexibles if I do then they are likely to be from a
major supplier (eg. BES).